Connecticut Electric Railway Association / Connecticut Trolley Museum
Shown above is a Chicago "EL" car which ended up at the Connecticut Electric Railway. Way back when I worked on restoring this car (lots of paint and lots of Bondo!). Once I was moving it and the brakes didn't work so I crashed it into an electric locomotive. Another time I fell off the roof and broke three ribs. Still love that car though! Number 4436 was built by Cincinnatti in 1924.
Welcome to our Unofficial Connecticut Trolley Museum WebSite
Here's a preview of some of the exciting projects we have put together for you:
Our feature article: Connecticut Electric Railway Association
The Early Years
CERA and Trolley Museum Official Site
CERA and Trolley Museum Reference Material
See the Trolley Museum on Google Earth
The Connecticut Trolley Museum has just completed their new WebSite
See the NEW Connecticut Trolley Museum WebSite!
They are adding more and more pictures!
There is a lot more to see at the museum than in the past. There are trolley movies. The adjacent Fire Museum is now included in your admission. Like always, you can ride the trolley all day.But don't just read it here, see their WebSite then take a trip to the museum.
An Insider's View of the Connecticut Trolley Museum
Connecticut Trolley Museum: The Early Years
The Connecticut Electric Railway Association (CERA), which operates the Connecticut Trolley Museum in East Windsor, was founded in 1940 by three members of the Connecticut Valley Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society. Henry R. Steig, Richard E. Whittier and Roger Borrup incorporated to preserve something of the then-rapidly-disappearing traction era. The museum trackage operates over a section of the old Hartford & Springfield Street Railway Company. This line covered the 25 miles between Hartford and Springfield with two parallel lines on each side of the Connecticut River. Carbarns were in Warehouse Point and across the river in Windsor Locks. It did not directly serve either namesake city, but instead connected with the street railways in each city. It also had two branches: one to Somers and the other to Rockville. The H&S went into receivership in 1918 and the last car on the Rockville branch was in 1926.
3.25 miles of the Rockville branch is now owned by CERA. About 1.5 miles of the line is tracked. The remainder of the right-of-way traverses several curves, descends a six to eight percent grade, then skirts the bank of the Scantic River before crossing to a terminus near Broad Brook. Along this area is Piney Ridge where the H&S ran a small amusement and picnic park.
In its early years, the organization concentrated on acquiring equipment. Much of this was from Connecticut and was moved from car barns with the help of the Seashore Electric in Kennebunk, Maine. About this time, the last cars left the James Street carhouse in New Haven. The 1950 goal was to build 500 feet of track. To accomplish this, rails were hauled in by jeep and boat trailer. Rail was bought from Warwick Ry. in Rhode Island and delivered to nearby Windsor Locks. Seven poles were set by a pole contractor. Also about this time, the North Road Station was completed. A committee was formed to buy a push car for track work. Members had "rail bonds" that they bought. Each $30 bond funded a 30-foot section of rail.
In the early 1950's, it was much easier to run trips on local railroads and this became the main fund-raiser for the group.
In 1952, members were requested to bring in scrap metal. Some of it still seems to be on the property!
There was a spirit of cooperation between other New England museums. Seashore Electric in Maine put a heavy truck and trailer in service to move cars. Branford Electric purchased a tower truck from Connecticut Electric. Critical parts were traded. A proposal for the Electric Railroaders' Association (ERA) to place a four-wheel Brooklyn car on the property was accepted. At this time, the CERA was also affiliated with the ERA as its Connecticut Valley Division but in 1953 voted to withdraw affiliation with ERA and Seashore Electric. It was no longer necessary to belong to them to hold membership in CERA.
The 1953 roster of 31 members included Robert W. Eggleton (still an active member), Roger Borrup (editor of the newsletter), trip chairman Edward G. Kelly, and author Rogers E.M. Whitaker.
One problem was getting electricity to operate trolleys. In 1952, a generator from New Haven gas-electric #9108 was obtained for $750. In 1953, 700 feet of wire was strung. 1954 plans for a power supply were discussed using a power company 4800-volt line and a generator from Seashore Electric in Maine.
Maintenance was always a problem. In 1952, tarpaper roofs were planned for cars 1326, 779, 840 and 65. A 1923 Mack dump truck was obtained to assist in working on the property. Wednesday nights and Sundays were work days. The second Sunday of the month was track laying day. In the 1952 manager's report, cars 25, 83, 1326, 3001 and 773 were in operating condition. No 10 was maintained to prevent deterioration. In 1953, No. 1326 was freshly painted and the tower car was now usable. Also, cars 169, 840, 65 and 10 were painted. Cars running in service were No. 169 (restored Brooklyn Rapid Transit 4-wheeler) and 1326. Also used were Nos. 25, 3001, 779 and 840. Car operation was by regular crews (the members who put the cars in operation). All equipment was run with a motorman and conductor as well as with the manager or assistant manager on the property. 600 ft. of track were in operation with an extension being built. Two road crossings were completed. 1400 feet of trackage was in place by January 1955. The March 13, 1955 annual meeting featured a work session and a tour of the line. A fund for restoration of 5-Mile Beach 9 bench single truck deck roof open trolley No. 36 reached $22.65. No. 36 was patched up by members who went to New Jersey. It finally arrived at the museum in 1955. An old-time Johnson fare box was purchased to accept donations from the public
The 1955 trolley operating schedule began Easter Sunday. With temperatures below 40 degrees, the generator was reluctant to turn over. By May, the schedule was in turmoil and the General Manager resigned. The remainder of the summer featured "infrequent operations" Saturday and Sunday afternoons and Wednesday evenings. Each active member had a trolley car to maintain or some project to keep busy on. The power generating plant was not too dependable and did not always start at a flip of a switch. The organization made a $200 deposit on a motor-generator set to convert 4800 AC to 600 DC. Summer operations mostly used No. 840 (15-bench Jones open car). A box car and flat car were moved to the museum for $663.04.
1955 saw a new divisional setup for Connecticut Electric. There was a North Road Division consisting of everything west from Woods carhouse and a Woods Division consisting of all property to the south side of Winkler Road crossing. Robert Eggleton was manager of North Road and Roger Borrup manager of Woods Division. This move was done to allow development of property including 40 acres in which the museum had an indirect interest through the East Windsor Land and Park Association. Plans included a new road, third trolley barn/shop, 1910-1920 style village and 3,000 foot spur. A Woods Division 'Work Day' was called to lay crossing on September 25 over the new Prospect Hill exit road. The Woods carhouse was under construction. It was a 90-foot pole barn designed to hold 4 double truck cars on two tracks. In 1955, No. 65 operated under its own power for the first time since it left Hartford in 1941. By the end of 1955, the museum consisted of 11 cars and 1,400 feet of track.
The Trip Committee operated as an independent organization in financial matters and allocated its funds to the museum as it saw fit. A motor-generator set was purchased from Trip Committee profits. It came from Seashore Electric Railway which had obtained it from the Uncanoonuc Incline Railway in Goffstown, New Hampshire. This two-mile trolley had purchased the set sometime before 1920. It was built by General Electric in Schenectady. Seashore couldn't use it because its local electric company could not provide power. The hope was to finance building a substation in 1956. 4800-volt AC power would be stepped down to 2200 volts through a transformer then fed to the AC motors which in turn drove the DC generators. Two units run in parallel to furnish 126 amperes, or 100 horsepower, at 550 volts DC.
In 1956, discussions were held on 'less cars, more track'. The opinion was that the museum would be in better shape to have 5 or 6 first class cars rather than an ever-growing collection of rolling stock with little hope of ever putting it in proper condition. No. 16 (Springfield combination car) and No. 12 (snow plow) arrived on the property. Work was completed on a second carhouse siding. Steam engine No. 3 (0-4-0) saddle-tank former Hartford Electric Light) made a run on museum tracks. In 1957, grading for parking lot was done and a 400-foot siding completed. Aluminum siding was put on three sides of Woods carbarn complete and work on doors begun. Also, the current Operating Superintendent, William E. Wood, was accepted as a member
The Association published a "Transportation Bulletin" which reported noteworthy events. For instance, on November 16, 1956 the Hartford & Connecticut Western Railroad was officially dissolved. The first train in 1871 went 67 miles to Millerton, NY with stops at Bloomfield, Simsbury, New Hartford, Winsted, Norfolk and Canaan. It was merged into the New Haven in 1927 and most of the trackage was taken up piecemeal from 1935 to 1939, although some segments are still in use. Because of the Great Flood of 1955, trackage from Pine Meadow to a feed and grain dealer in New Hartford was abandoned. Also, in 1957, Connecticut Co. freight motors 2022 & 2023 were still working in East Hartford. They covered 8 1/2 miles of street rail between East Hartford and Glastonbury. This line served Pratt & Whitney, J.B. Williams (a soap maker) and five other businesses.
By Ken Kinlock at firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you heard about
Supply Chain Management Control Towers
Control towers are used in many industries for different purposes: airports and railroads use them for traffic control; power plants have control rooms to monitor operations; and third party logistics providers use them to track transportation activities. These are places where operations run well. Why not a
“SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT CONTROL TOWER"in order to monitor and assure your supply? Talk to us, we build them!
So just what is an SCM Control Tower? What are the functions of a Supply Chain Control Tower? Who staffs your Supply Chain Management Control Tower?
If you use an EDI VAN for your business, this message is for you. Move past the ancient VAN technology. JWH EDI Services Electronic Commerce Messaging System will bring your EDI operation into the 21st Century. The power of our global EDI network is available on your server, your cloud platform or your application. AND you cannot beat our prices.
You can connect and communicate with all your customers and trading partners through the JWH EDI Services Electronic Commerce Messaging System - Connect with trading partners around the world on a single Network-as-a-Service platform, get real-time transaction visibility and eliminate those manual network processes. It is a pay as you need model. We track all interchanges from the moment they enter the system, along every step across the network, and through the delivery confirmation.
How can we help you? Contact us: Ken Kinlock at email@example.com
Not only can you search hotels by city, but you can search by your favorite chain of hotels.
We can find all the best hotels at the best rates in Nice, Cannes, or Monaco,.
There is no "brrreeeport" in Connecticut, but there are plenty of towns that are served by freight railroads.
Search them out!
This old car is now at the Connecticut Electric
Before going to Montréal,
it worked in Springfield, Mass. Number
2056 is a steel lightweight built by Wason in 1927 and acquired in 1959
Ponemah Mills Electric in Niskayuna, NY
Ponemah Mills Electric
Engine # 1386, the "Black Maria" (pronounced "Mariah"), was the first double truck direct-electric steeple cab freight locomotive ever produced by General Electric Company.
In 1893, the General Electric Company, itself only a year old, had completed it.s first electric locomotive, which was a small, slow speed, four wheeled machine that was intended for switching service. It was deemed a success and the company accepted an order to build a second locomotive, to be larger, faster and suitable for regular railway freight service. The contract was with Cayadutta Electric Railway Company of Gloversville, NY, for the price of $14,500. After the contract was signed and the locomotive was being built, Cayadutta elected to buy two larger locomotives, but requested a release from the original contract (which it received). The locomotive was sold the following year in 1895 to the Taftville Cotton Mill (later renamed Ponemah Mills) in Taftville CT.
The mill owned one and a half miles of railroad plus sidings, which connected to the Norwich & Worcester, under lease to the New York & New England Railroad from 1895 to 1898. The line was used to bring freight into and out of the mill, as well as several small factories along the way. Being a progressive company, the mill was one of the earliest to use electric power. With the Norwich electric street railway near by, it seemed natural to have an electric locomotive and railway.
The locomotive was described in ELECTRICAL WORLD of September 8, 1894, as being a thirty-five ton, 500 volt D.C. machine with four motors designed to perform the ordinary work of a steam locomotive of similar capacity, where excess speeds are not requisite, up to thirty miles per hour. It has a pair of independent trucks, each having four wheels. Each pair of wheels is driven by it.s own specially designed motor of the single reduction spur gear type, mounted upon the axle as in ordinary street car practice.
The cab rests on the trucks in a manner somewhat similar to that in which the ordinary passenger car is mounted, an ample margin for wear and strength being provided. The cab itself is constructed of sheet iron and windows in it are arranged as to give an almost unobstructed view from on position in all directions. The design of the cab was to give plenty of available floor space without making the top of the cab long enough to obstruct the sight. The form of the cab also makes a symmetrically shaped locomotive, which would become known as the "Steeple Cab" type locomotive - with hundreds built in the years to come.
The electrical equipment comprises, besides the motors, a series-parallel controller, control resistors, circuit breakers, and an air compressor, which provides the air for the brakes and whistle. In addition, there are the bell, headlights, and sand boxes. It.s overall dimensions are 24 ft. long over draw bar, 11 ft. 2in. high, and 7ft. 4 in. wide. Wheels are 40 inches in diameter, with a single truck wheelbase of 6 feet. The draw bar pull was stated to be 14,000 pounds. The motor resistors, circuit breakers, and air compressor and its tank are all mounted inside the cab. The single brake cylinder is centrally mounted underneath.
The locomotive was originally supplied with a large wooden pilot on each end, draw bar couplers, two large headlights, a forty-pound brass bell, and whistle. It also had two trolley poles. In later years, the pilots were replaced with footboards, and knuckle couplers were added. The two headlights and one of the trolley poles were removed sometime during its seventy years of service at the mill. Those were the only changes the locomotive saw on it.s outside. The nickname .Black Maria., was given to the locomotive by the property owners of Taftville, whose front yards it rode through for many a year.
The locomotive went into service in May 1895. It was in .trouble free. service for many years, with only major renovation being to update the motors in 1911. The change was due to a revision in the Mill's power supply. Its last trip hauling freight was August 3, 1964, bring a load of starch to the mill. Its last operation under power was August 11, 1964, when it drove itself onto a flatbed trailer for a trip to the .American Museum of Electricity. in Niskayuna, NY.
Engine # 1386 rode the highways of Connecticut into New York and was off-loaded at the G.S.A. depot in Scotia, NY, near the General Electric Facility in Schenectady, NY (the .Electric City.). It stayed within the confines of the G.E. property from October 1964 until October 19, 1965. On October 19, 1965, with the help of the New York Central Alco switcher, the locomotive was moved from the G.S.A., along the freight sidings of Schenectady and up into Niskayuna. The locomotive was parked, along with two interurban cars from the Chicago, North Shore, and Milwaukee Railroad (numbers 162 and 710), on a section of track of the NYC Troy-Schenectady branch where the American Museum of Electricity had secured property. The Museum had acquired several acres of land and right-of-way along the Mohawk River in an area known to this day as .Lock-7.. The plan was to develop a .working. museum with a loop track and erect storage and maintenance facilities at the site.
Unfortunately, the plans for the museum did not come to fruition. The locomotive sat on the siding, along with the two interurban cars, for six years. In the spring of 1971, several of the locomotive.s .guardians. discovered that it and the interurban cars had been vandalized for copper. Several sections of copper bus bar and the compressor drive motor had been removed, in addition to a section of the locomotive's brass handrail and it.s original whistle.
It was decided by the American Museum of Electricity to dispose of the equipment. The locomotive was offered as a donation to the Connecticut Electric Railway Association, in view of the fact that they had been found to have sort of a prior claim to it. The Association had approached the Ponemah Mills about acquiring the locomotive well before the American Museum of Electricity, and they had received a verbal commitment from the Mill.s former management. The Mill.s later management in New York City was unaware of that agreement.
With the help of Joseph D. Thompson, the Connecticut Electric Railway received the donation of Engine # 1386, and for $400.00, purchased the Ponemah Mill.s line material and Locomotive "C" (now renumbered S-193). The line material and Locomotive "C" were donated to the American Museum of Electricity by Ponemah Mills when they closed their electric train service in 1964.
On October 21, 1971, Engine # 1386 was lifted off the siding tracks and onto a flatbed truck by the donated services of the Albany Crane Co. (courtesy of Robert White, a National Railway Historic Society member). With great care and many eyes watching, the locomotive rode down similar roads it was on six years prior, and arrived at the Connecticut Electric Railway's property the same day.
History by Edward J. Paprocki, October 2000.
Amended by William E. Wood, April 2001.
Mr. Ben Anthony of the .Museum of Erie GE History., in Erie, PA for an article he supplied entitled .Archetype of Steeple Cabs, The Ponemah Mills Electric Locomotive. by Joseph D. Thompson. The article appeared in the National Railway Historical Society Bulletin number 6 in 1965.
Mr. William F. Heim for his photographs and copies of correspondences with GE in regards to Engine # 1386.
Street Railway Journal - May 1895 article on "Power Source & Engine".
Trains Magazine - Volume 19, October 1959 - pages 24 & 25 "Meet The Black Maria" by B. Thomas Walsh, and Volume 26, February 1966 - page 10 picture "Move To Niskayuna, NY".
The N.R.H.S. bulletin, Volume 37, number 15 - page 17 picture "Loading The Black Maria Off The Siding At Niskayuna, NY For Trip To C.E.R".
Special thank you to Mr. William E. Wood, VP New England Region of the National Railway Historical Society, for sharing his archives, photographs, and history notes on Engine # 1386.
Lastly, a major thank you to Mr. Joseph D. Thompson for being the primary .Guardian and Savior. of Engine # 1386. Mr. Thompson work hard to protect, save and bring the locomotive to the Connecticut Electric Railway Association's Museum in Connecticut.
This former Delaware & Hudson hopper car (number 2782) is now at the Connecticut Electric Railway.
The author painted it in the early 1990's.
|See The Connecticut Company in pictures. The Bill Volkmer Collection has many cars organized by the division they ran on||
This article was published in May and June 1992
in the BRIDGELINE BULLETIN of the Bridge Line Historical Society
The article has also been published by the Connecticut Trolley Museum
Food Distributor for organic and natural products. Wholesale distribution throughout North America. We are a broker for organic and natural products. We specialize in locating organic products you sometimes can't get from your local distributors. We set you up with a relationship with a supplier. Our ORGANIC FOOD WebSite is not everything we can get, just a robust sample.
ec-bp.com The Forum for Supply Chain Integration
ec-bp was established in 2005 as the advocate for lowering the barriers to the adoption of EDI, and our email newsletter has been published every month since that time. Our focus has expanded beyond EDI to encompas the full gamut of supply chain practices and technologies. In addition, our readership has grown to become the largest of any similarly focused publication, and has expanded to include more than 90,000 professionals involved in nearly every aspect of the supply chain.
Today’s supply chain is more than simple transport of EDI documents. The complexity of maintaining compliance with trading partners, managing the ever increasing amount of data, and analyzing that data to drive constant improvement in processes and service take supply chain professionals far beyond the basics of mapping EDI documents.
Traveling in Europe?
Signal Stations of the
New Haven Railroad
Includes New Haven speed limits and trackage rights
Also sections on Bridgeport and
State Line interchange
Click here or on picture to see full story.
Railway Express and Railway Post Office
On passenger trains, railroads operated lots of equipment other than sleepers, coaches, dining cars, etc. This equipment was generally called 'head-end' equipment, these 'freight' cars were at one time plentiful and highly profitable for the railroads. In the heyday of passenger service, these industries were a big part of the railroad's operations, and got serious attention.
We have text and pictures not found elsewhere on the Web.
Golf in Nice and the French Riviera
Golf in Laurentides / Laurentians Region of Quebec
Golf in the Montréal area
Golf in Northwest France
The U.S. Open
Golf Courses on Google Earth
We are working on our list of Golf Hotels and Resorts
Some of these are well known because of PGA Tour events held there. Pinehurst; The Greenbrier; and Pebble Beach certainly belong in this catagory. Others are located in towns with even more than golf as an attraction. In this Category is The Otesaga in Cooperstown, New York; Basin Harbor Club on Lake Champlain.
Our HAND TOOL WebSite is intended in aiding you to locate HAND TOOL suppliers. You may search by product or by manufacturer. We add both products and manufacturers, so keep checking back.
In addition we are a full service MRO (Maintenance, Repair and Operational Supplies) supplier. If you are in the construction or farming business, we are your source.
|List of Connecticut Railroads|
|SHELBURNE FALLS TROLLEY MUSEUM|
|Railway Preservation News|
|Association of Railway Museums|
|Piney Ridge Park|
Required Attire for a Remote Workforce
Ever wonder how your telecommuting colleagues really live? Turns out, many of them actually do work in their pajamas. They also tend to love their work-life balance – to the point where they’d take a pay cut to maintain the status quo. This is a “must read” for both remote workers and for their office-bound managers.
CONNECTICUT ELECTRIC RAILWAY EQUIPMENT ROSTER
As of 1950
|No.||Length||Type||Builder||Year built||Year received||History|
|10||30'||wooden combine||Wason||1901||1947||Springfield Elec.|
|65||33'||wooden, closed||Wason||1906||1941||Connecticut Co|
|663||15||bench open||Brill||1902||1948||Connecticut Co. (355)|
|779||30'||wooden, closed||Jewett||1904||1948||Connecticut Co.|
|840||15'||bench open||Jones||1905||1948||Connecticut Co.|
|1326||30'||wooden closed||Bradley||1910||1948||Connecticut Co.|
|3001||-||DT Birney||Wason||1922||1948||Connecticut Co.|
|0206||-||Wooden service car||Company||1902||1949||Connecticut Co.|
|0309||30'||wooden, closed||Brill||1902||1949||Connecticut Co.|
In 1968, Winkler Road crossing was completed. Bert Johanson, a motorman-conductor and still a current member,
designed an advertising brochure. A new gift shop was located in a remodeled Wickford coach. The association operated a steam
excursion from Hartford to New Haven and Derby Junction, returning by way of Waterbury and New Britain. Commercial power
was soon to replace the generating unit. The museum hired labor to build an 800-foot extension to Newbury Road. There was an
open house for employees of the Connecticut Company and the New Haven Railroad. Springfield Terminal plow 12 was being
restored. Long Island M-U #4153 was acquired. It is a 65' car built in Pennsylvania Railroad's Altoona Shops in 1930.
The 1970 Winterfest attracted 40,000 riders. New equipment acquired that year included Boston Elevated #5777 built in 1920 by Osgood Bradley of Worcester and a 1920 tank car, UTLX 75701, donated by Union Tank Car Co.
1971 saw the acquisition of a "fireless cooker" built by Porter in 1934 and donated by Stanley Works in New Britain.
In 1972, CERA and the Connecticut Antique Fire Apparatus Association held a joint meet. 3163 passengers rode trolleys and viewed 65 autos and 17 fire engines. Two North Shore cars were acquired: #162, built by Brill in 1915, and #710, built by Cincinnati in 1924. Additionally, an electric locomotive was acquired. It was built by GE in 1894 for the Taftville Mill (later Ponemah Mills) and had been used in switching for nearly 70 years.
Waterbury and Milldale Tramway Company
The Waterbury & Milldale Tramway took a long time being organized and built but only ran for twenty years. Starting in 1899, the Connecticut legislature said no to its backers each year until 1907. The company was finally organized in 1910 but actual construction didn't begin until 1912. Even then, the company had to get an extension of its franchise.
Finally in 1913, 3.6 miles were built from a connection with Connecticut Company tracks in East Main Street to Byam Road. Grading was done as far as a crossing of the Meriden Road at Hitchcocks Lakes. 4000 feet of line from East Main Street to Mill Pond School was finally opened to traffic November 19, 1913. The next section to be opened was from the school to the Cheshire town line.
In 1914, The Green Line formally asked the Railroad Commission for permission to construct the rest of its line from Byam Road to a junction with the Connecticut Company's Southington-Meriden line at Milldale.
It only took six years before fiscal difficulties hit the line. Fare structures were attacked before the Public Utilities Commission by several citizens and the City of Waterbury. They felt that the 10-cent fare for each zone was unfair and that there should only be one zone in the city. The company defended itself, citing a cost of 30 cents to Milldale compared to 38 cents via the Connecticut Company's route through Cheshire from Waterbury.
The Green Line limped along with ever-declining revenues for another 14 years. 1927 saw trackage down Southington Mountain from Hitchcock Lakes to Milldale being abandoned. When the Connecticut Company announced abandonment of its East Main Street line to Cheshire, the end was there. The Green Line sold its franchise to the Cooke Street Bus Line and ran its last car on October 29, 1933.
Ike and Mike: Baldwin-Westinghouse Steeple Cab Electric Locomotives
In the 1920's, the Connecticut Company had two Baldwin-Westinghouse steeple cab electric locomotives operating in the Waterbury, Connecticut area. Numbered 1053 and 1054, they were referred to as "Ike and Mike". These locomotives were built for the narrow track clearances in the Waterbury area and accordingly were different from the majority of B-W steeple cabs in that the air tanks were mounted longitudinally above the main structural beams of the frame instead of transversely under the cab. The result was a pair of locomotives with bodies only 8-feet wide.
Another feature of these locomotives were the short wheelbase trucks, which necessitated the "about face" mounting of the traction motors. In other words, the motors were suspended towards the outside of the truck instead of the usual inwards suspension. These trucks had a wheelbase of 4'6" with 33" wheels compared to the 6"6" wheelbase and 36" wheels on other Baldwin-Westinghouse motors that the New Haven Railroad ran in the New Haven area (Manufacturer's Railway).
Built in 1912, they were originally #028 and #029 but soon renumbered as "0" numbers were revised to apply to non-revenue equipment. Rated at 45 tons, they delivered 400 HP using four 100 HP motors.
Most of their service was hauling traffic to and from Chase Brass plants. Sometimes they were used to haul ice from points on the Woodbury line. In 1936, the Waterbury Division of the Connecticut Company was transferred to the Connecticut Railway & Lighting Company which concentrated on converting trolleys to bus operations. Lack of trolley rail to run on made these motors surplus.
World War II saved them from scrap with #1053 moving ammunition at Fort Hancock on Sandy Hook, New Jersey and #1054 joining the Air Force at Hampton & Langley Field. After the war, #1053 was sold to the Kansas City & Kaw Valley RR where it became #503. It moved cement from Bonner Springs to Kansas City until being scrapped in 1956. #1054 went to the Hagarstown & Frederick in Maryland as #10 and lasted until the line dieselized in 1955.
The Trolley in Connecticut
Click at left to see all about the electric freight railroads of
New Haven and Bridgeport.
The historic locomotive pictured above (The "Ponemah" or the "Black Maria") is stored at the Connecticut Trolley Museum. Click here to read more about it.
CERA Steam Department
At several points in it's existance, the Connecticut Electric Railway
has had a "steam department". It was active in the early 1990's and
also much earlier in its history.
The late Steve Bogen of the Empire State Railway Museum owned locomotive 97. As the ESRM had run their "Middletown & Orange" tourist railroad operation for its final season in 1966, they were looking for a new home and had been for a year or so prior to that, and it was during this time they looked at the Lakeville line, but NIMBIES eventually defeated the proposal and the track was removed. Steve had operated #97 on the Vermont Ry around 1965-6 a few times a year but decided to relocate the loco to Hartford as plans began to create a tourist railroad closer to major population, and run it over the New Haven RR on occasional excursions. He arranged for the steam department of the Connecticut Electric Railway Association ( E Windsor CT) to maintain the loco, and the Conn. Valley Chapter NRHS to run the trips. The steam dept. broke away from CERA to form the Connecticut Valley Railroad Association (which eventually evolved into today's RMNE). After failing to establish an operation on the Lakeville line, the lower end of the Valley branch and the Collinsville branch were considered. During this time the CVRA operated trips from Hartford in October 1966 and June 1967. In May 1968, the 97 was run as part of an excursion from Hartford to Danbury and was based there through the end of 1968, running a pair of trips to Canaan. Following the end of 1968, the Penn Central takeover effectively ended the CVRA's main line trips and the organization concentrated on establishing the Valley Railroad in Essex.
An interesting note - a few of the CVRA's trips were co-sponsored with the Connecticut Railroad Historical Association and the Empire State Railway Museum. All 3 organizations exist today in various but different forms, the RMNE running the Naugatuck RR, the CRHA owning the Canaan Station, and the ESRM aligned with the Catskill Mountain operation of the former Ulster & Delaware branch of the N Y Central.
Lakeville would have been interesting for a tourist railroad. Lakeville lumber was the westernmost, also taking tank cars of gas, with a feed dealer in Salisbury. The New Haven RR gave preferential rates to ship on the branch and kept it from being torn up an extra year because it was to be used as a tourist RR. The bridge just east of the station in Lakeville was pulled in 1950.
Imagine today if the line still existed and there were tourist trains running on it between Canaan and Lakeville, Conn. The village of Lakeville is a very pretty and popular tourist spot.
There is a
in New York State that runs above Syracuse and Utica.
It goes East from Oswego to at least Boonville. Here's the station at Boonville.
Find out more about Weather around the World
Ominous Weather is about more than weather. Its about our environment. Its about our social issues that need to be surfaced if we want to save our environment. See Champions of our Environment like Al Gore SAS le Prince Albert II de Monaco John R. Stilgoe Ralph Nader. We have addressed several railroad-related projects that will conserve fuel and lessen pollution. Our Window on Europe spotlights projects that can help the rest of the World.
We have other environmental sites on garbage trucks and Rapid response temporary shelters / portable housing.
Victoria Station was a restaurant, not a railroad station.
Other railroad-related restaurants in Connecticut:
Yankee Silversmith Inn / Restaurant has the "Silversmith Parlour Car", an old coach or dining car which serves as part of the dining room. Right on Rt 5 in Wallingford, off the Wilbur Cross Pkwy. The car at the Yankee Silversmith restaurant in Wallingford CT was originally a Philadelphia & Reading coach. It later was purchased by the Belfast & Moosehead Lake, and from there it came to Wallingford I think during the 1960s.
Pizzaworks in Old Saybrook is housed in the former Saybrook freight house (relocated slightly from a different track alignment years ago). They have trains running around and part of the old canopy/platform visible inside. Amtrak station is about 20 feet north of the restaurant and the platforms 20 feet south. Trains go flying by at nearly 100 mph.
In Cromwell CT there is a seasonal ice cream stand in an ex Amtrak, exx PC, exxx PRR steel caboose, no number available.
Find out more on the train stations (and former stations) of Connecticut.
Large drug hauls are being transported by couriers on Amtrak and
commuter trains in the Northeast, U.S. authorities say.
Dealers and couriers use trains because they stop in major cities,
are fast and cheap, and avoid random highway checks and airport security measures.
Amtrak police work with federal, state and local authorities in
surveillance and arrest of drug couriers.
Amtrak became the first transportation company to set up a drug enforcement unit,
with police powers given by Congress.
Read this exciting novel based on fact.
Find out a lot about railroading in the Northeast Corridor.
Available both electronically and hard copy.
Purchase this book today for $25
We can find any garbage truck you might want; NEW or USED
Let us search our numerous sources for you. Contact us, give us your location, specifications of the truck you want, and the price you want to pay. "We Talk Trash"!
JWH Industrial can get ANYTHING in GARBAGE TRUCKS. Talk to us about garbage trucks,
We have: Roll-off Trucks; Front Loaders; Rear Loaders; Grapple Loaders; Side Loaders.
Chicago Rail Fairof 1948-1949.
We have searched out tons of information available on this memorable event. Most of the railroads in the United States were represented, or exhibited. Union Pacific's Big Boy locomotive was one of the most popular exhibits. At this time, Chicago was the Rail Capital of the U.S.
What is EDI?
Blogs about EDI and eCommerce
EDI with the Government
Electronic Commerce Communications Providers
EDI and EC Vendors
EDI Project Management
History of EDI
Unique Global Identity for EDI Messages
Who wrote all this good stuff?
|See KC Jones BLOG about Railroad History We cover New York Central, New Haven Railroad and other Eastern Railroads.||See Penney Vanderbilt BLOG about Golf and Vacations, especially on the French Riviera We have a lot about Nice, France. Not only do we cover golf on the French Riviera, but also Northwest France, Quebec, Golf Hotels and THE US Open|