Journal 2 - 2002

March 30th, 2002


The first few weeks after my surgery I tended to move slowly as I was a bit sore and felt very tired.  I  had to work to regain my strength.  My sister in law, Carolynn as well as my husband Sam had me up and about the second day after my surgery.   The anesthetic really had me hung over and it took almost 3 days to come out from under it's effects.  I had some pain, but nothing really major mostly just the pulling and pressure  from the staples used to close my incision.  I was able to lie down and sleep in the hospital bed and also I was able to lie down in my bed after I was released from the hospital. Everyone reacts to pain differently.  Don't feel bad if you can't do this.  Pain meds are wonderful and if you need them then by all means don't deny yourself relief.

   I managed to eat whatever was bought to me.  I had a bit of nausa the first week after surgery but nothing really major, no cookie tossing!   My husband and I stayed  in Las Vegas for 2 weeks until I was able to get my staples removed.  We stayed in some friends guesthouse and it worked out wonderful.  Also, I was able to go to a  mall each day and walk.   The mall was great and had benchs every 30 feet or so and I was able to sit when I needed to.  This really helped me to feel better and stronger.  I was sent home with oxygen, but I am no longer using it.

It's been about 6 weeks now since I had my RNY  and I am doing very well.    I had my 6 week check-up on March 19th and had lost 20 #'s since Feb. 21st.  I am eating about 4 oz's of food at each meal and having 3 meals a day.   One problem I haven't been able to conquer yet is not gulping when I drink water.   I try to have a glass or bottle of water with me most of  the time but sometimes this can't be done and I get very thirsty and dry.   Next thing I know I am taking a a few big swallows and it hurts like hell going down.   You'd think I would learn. <:o}

I am able to eat just about whatever I want, within reason of course.  This is  lucky or unlucky depending on how you look at it.  Other post oper's  I have talked to have had a difficult time eating and drinking at first.  Some things I have eatenhave gotten stuck at the opening of my pouch and made me very ill until I was able to bring those bits of food up.  Immediately afterward though I felt fine.  One word of caution here.  When your doctor tells you to do pureed foods or liquids for 6 to 8 weeks, don't deviate and think you can short cut the process.  I learned the hard way that 6 weeks mean 6 weeks! 

Some of the foods that have caused trouble for me are the following:  
Turkey and Chicken Breast if overcooked can be dry, as well as fish fillets.  I shy away from overcooked meats of any kind. Bread can get stuck and really doesn't give that much nutrition so I don't eat much of it.  I might have a half of piece of toast once in a while.  Be very careful with fruits and vegetables that have thin skins and stringy stuff.  Things like raw celery, corn, onion and fresh or cooked peppers of any kind can plug the opening of your pouch.  Cooked celery and onions are usually okay.  Fruits like grapes, cherries, and citrus can plug the pouch too.  Denser fruits like apples, pears  are fine just make sure you peel them first.   Other fruits that taste so good but are loaded with sugar and can make you very ill are nectarines, peaches, and summer melons. Try them and see how it goes they're so good but don't eat too much of them. 

Foods that work well are:
Cream Soups with Soda crackers or  Rice Cakes with a little margarine.  They  are also good with cottage cheese,  tuna, chicken or ham saladFat free refried beans are fantastic with a little sauca and a bit of grated cheddar cheese. I try to eat 2 to 3 oz's of protein, an ounce of canned vegetable or an  ounce of fruit or yogurt.  Breakfast is either an egg and fruit like fresh apple or pear slices.  Other days I have  hot cereal like oatmeal, cream of wheat or cream of rice. 

Exercise is very important to helping me feel better and I have chosen to walk instead of working out right now.   It is a fact that all WLS patients shouldn't do any exercise that puts strain on the stomach area for 6 months after surgery.  It takes that long to heal up inside.  Anyways, the mild walk  helps with hunger and boredom by getting me out of the house and away  from the refrigerator.   It's funny but I love watching the cooking shows on the Food Network.  It doesn't bother me but I get a kick out of watching different dishes being created.  Kind of like watching an artist at work!

If anyone has questions about the first 6 weeks after weight loss surgery I am more than willing to try to answer them.  Just
email me and I will answer.

April 5th, 2002

It is shown that the WLS patients who attend Support meetings are the most successful in losing their excess  weight and keeping it off.   This is my last chance at trying to be the person I know I can be and I don't want to blow it, so I make the pilgrimage each month because I know in the long run it's the best thing I can do for myself.

So far I have lost 29 #'s since my surgery  and 70 #'s total since I first saw Doc Fisher.  I feel like I am in the midst of a miracle.  This is so wonderful.  Don't get me wrong here though, I have to pick my food wisely and exercise by walking at least 4 to 5 times a week.  But the surgery is working and I am so incrediably thankful.

One really neat thing happened to me this past week.  I got to remove the extention belt off of my car seatbelt.  That extention has been there almost 10 years and now I don't need it anymore.  I can buckle the seatbelt now and still have belt to spare.   It's just a little thing but it just thrills the heck out of me. :) 

Last Update:  September 17,  2002
>>>>>  Click here to go to page 2 of Journal 2 >>>>>
Home    Journal 1     Journal 3     WLS Info     Why I Choose WLS    Weight Chart    My Pictures     Links
Family     Web Rings     Fun Pages     Email Me
Hosting by WebRing.